2100 Calorie Meal Plan
For many gym enthusiasts and bodybuilders, a 2100 calorie meal plan is quite low for their recommended daily caloric intake. However, when cutting, this eating plan can help them reach their goals. Read on to find out how a 2100 calorie meal plan can help you achieve your fitness goals.
What is cutting in bodybuilding?
Cutting or the cutting phase is where bodybuilders reduce their calories to shed fat and get as lean as possible (4). Unlike typical weight loss diets, a cutting diet, i.e, the 2100 calorie meal plan is high in both protein and carbs. This is because these two are needed to fuel the body for heavy weight lifting.
2100 calorie meal plan bodybuilding: can you gain muscle on this eating plan?
Yes and no. For those who have been working out and already have a minimal amount of body fat percentage, it can be quite hard to gain more muscle while cutting. However, beginners with a higher body fat can build muscle while cutting and consuming the 2100 calorie meal plan.
Sample of an easy 2100 calorie meal plan
Mapping out a new eating plan can be quite confusing, especially if you are unsure where to start. Below is a 3-day 2100 calorie meal plan that will help you figure out how to eat 2100 calories a day.
- Breakfast – 1 serving of healthy bran cereal, 1 granola bar, and unsweetened almond milk
- Calories: 392. Fat: 12.6 g, Proteins: 18 g, Carbs: 12.7 g.
- Pre-workout snack – Protein shake
- Calories: 115. Fat: 0.9 g, Proteins: 25 g, Carbs: 1.2 g.
- Post-workout snack – Protein bar
- Calories: 220. Fat: 7.8 g, Proteins: 20.4 g, Carbs: 15.6 g.
- Lunch 1 – High protein sandwich
- 4 slices of bacon medallions, flatbread, and two eggs
- Calories: 359. Fat: 15.1 g, Proteins: 38.8 g, Carbs: 19.5 g.
- Lunch 2 – 1 pizza slice
- Calories: 234. Fat: 8.1 g, Proteins: 8.1 g, Carbs: 31 g.
- Dinner – Turkey and roasted vegetables
- 250 g of turkey and 400 g of your favourite vegetables. You could use onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and courgettes
- Calories: 476. Fat: 18.1 g, Proteins: 62 g, Carbs: 14.2 g.
- Snack – 1 cup of blueberries, 1 medium apple, and a protein bar
- Calories: 301. Fat: 9 g, Proteins: 4.5 g, Carbs: 58 g.
- Total Intake for the day: Calories: 2097. Fat: 71.6 g, Proteins: 177 g, Carbs: 152 g.
- Meal 1 – Turkey and Egg Sandwich
- 250 g of turkey mince, 1 wholemeal wrap, 2 medium eggs, 75 g of mushrooms and 1 onion
- Calories: 611. Fat: 25 g, Proteins: 62 g, Carbs: 36 g.
- Snack 1 – 250 g of strawberries and 100 g of raspberries
- Calories: 107. Fat: 0.5 g, Proteins: 3.4 g, Carbs: 19.6 g.
- Snack 2 – 1 serving of hot chocolate powder and 1/2 cup of skim milk
- Calories: 84. Fat: 1.1 g, Proteins: 5.2 g, Carbs: 12.6 g.
- Meal 2 – 2 boneless salmon fillets, 25 g baby spinach, 75 g sliced mushrooms, 150 g sweet potato, 6 cherry tomatoes, and 45 g mixed salad
- Calories: 584. Fat: 28.3 g, Proteins: 43.5 g, Carbs: 37.9 g.
- Meal 3 – 150 g bacon medallions, 1 wrap, 1 medium egg, 75 g sliced bell peppers and 23 g of mixed salad
- Calories: 468. Fat: 15.6 g, Proteins: 52.6 g, Carbs: 26.4 g.
- Late night snack – 2 tangerines and 12 oz of Greek yogurt
- Calories: 263. Fat: 16.3 g, Proteins: 7.2 g, Carbs: 24.8 g.
- Total Intake for the Day: Calories: 2117. Fat: 86.8 g, Proteins: 173.9 g, Carbs: 157.3 g.
- Meal 1 – 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, asparagus, 50 g blueberries, 160 g Greek yogurt
- Calories: 353. Fat: 15 g, Proteins: 38 g, Carbs: 19 g.
- Meal 2 – 5 chicken sausages and 1 cup of broccoli florets
- Calories: 248. Fat: 4.5 g, Proteins: 48.5 g, Carbs: 4 g.
- Meal 3 – 2 chicken sausages, 2 bread rolls, 2 tbs strawberry jam and 2 g mixed vegetables
- Calories: 447. Fat: 4 g, Proteins: 31 g, Carbs: 70 g.
- Meal 4 – 80 g cereal and 150 ml of semi-skim milk
- Calories: 384. Fat: 5 g, Proteins: 10 g, Carbs: 73 g.
- Meal 5 – 1 reduced-fat burger, 1 medium egg, a handful of asparagus. Do not use any burger buns on this one.
- Calories: 250. Fat: 13 g, Proteins: 26 g, Carbs: 8 g.
- Meal 6 – 200 g 5% beef mince, 40 g brown rice, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1/2 a bell pepper, 1 small onion and 1 tomato
- Calories: 406. Fat: 10 g, Proteins: 47 g, Carbs: 31 g.
- Total Intake for the Day: Calories: 2088. Fat: 51.5 g, Proteins: 200.5 g, Carbs: 205 g.
What does a balanced 2100 calorie meal plan look like?
Whether you are using the 2100 calorie meal plan for fat loss or bodybuilding, you must ensure that your meals are balanced. This means that you are required to eat all the food groups and not cut out any. Well-balanced meals or diets ensure that you are energized throughout the day and are not missing any important nutrients.
Here are the foods you should consume to ensure that you are on a balanced 2100 calorie meal plan.
1. Dark leafy greens
They include vegetables such as arugula, kale, spinach, bok choy, Swiss chard, broccoli, mustard greens, and collard greens. These greens contain high levels of fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. They also have very little carbohydrates, sodium, and cholesterol. The dark greens supply a significant amount of vitamins including folate, a B vitamin that promotes heart health (3).
When you are cutting for fat loss, legumes and lentils are very important in your diet. They are a good source of healthy carbs, full of protein, and fiber. Protein will keep you fuller for longer, while fiber is essential for maintaining regular and normal healthy bowel movements as well as proper insulin response. Both protein and fiber are critical for muscle growth, which is what you are after during the cutting period – or even when trying to build muscle when bulking (1).
3. Oily fish
Fish and seafood are full of omega-3 fatty acids and are very low in calories. This makes them fantastic for fat loss, and when trying to bulk up, consuming them allows you to eat more or gives you an allowance for other foods (2). Great examples of fatty fish include salmon, flounder, cod, mackerel, trout, and tuna. You should also note that omega-3 fatty acids reduce muscle soreness and may also aid muscle strength and range of motion.
4. Eggs, lean cuts of beef, and poultry
Many people trying to lose weight or build muscle will always consume lean animal protein. These cuts are full of protein, which helps with muscle building and have very little fats, which help with fat loss.
Nuts and seeds
Such as almonds, hemp seeds, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, cashews, sesame seeds, and chia seeds are full of protein and healthy fats.
6. Tofu and tempeh
These are amazing sources of plant-based protein for anyone who does not consume meat or eggs.
7. Whole grains, breads, and pasta
Unlike simple carbs, unrefined carbohydrates are quite essential when trying to build muscle. When consumed, these carbs are turned into glucose that our bodies use as a source of energy. Lack of carbs in your diet forces your body to use muscle as fuel, making you lose muscle mass and messing with your gains. When cutting, it is advisable to consume your carbs right before or just after your workout. Great examples of whole grains include oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat, barley and more.
2100 calorie meal plan weight loss
In a way, yes. You could use the 2100 calorie meal plan as a weight loss strategy. However, this only works for someone who was previously consuming more than 2100 calories a day. Generally, men and women require about 2500 and 2000 calories a day to maintain their weight. Note that this number is dependent on age, lifestyle, and level of physical activity (8).
In light of this, eating 2100 calories a day will put many men (and some women) on a caloric deficit leading to weight loss. If your energy intake for the day is usually below 2100, then this diet will most likely make you gain weight.
Exercises to do while on a 2100 calorie meal plan
When on a cutting diet, it is essential to ensure that your workouts meet your goals. You must do exercises that help you lose fat while maintaining your muscle mass.
This is essential not only for fat loss but also for your cardiovascular health. Cardio exercises such as skipping rope, swimming, cycling, and running can be done for about 30 to 60 minutes a day without any risk to your gains. It is best to do HIIT cardio exercises as they offer better results in a short amount of time.
Weight lifting is essential in weight and fat loss as it boosts your basal metabolic rate. This is the rate at which your body burns calories while at rest. When you do cardio, your body does burn calories quickly during the exercise, but this rate drops once you are done. On the other hand, strength training keeps your metabolic rate high long after you have left the gym.
Some secrets to weight lifting while trying to get lean include (7):
1. Do more compound exercises. They work out more muscle groups in a single move, thus burning more calories and building stronger muscles. Great examples of such exercises include barbell deadlifts, squats, dumbbell bench press, dumbbell walking lunges, kettlebell squats press, and pullups.
2. Keep your heart rate up. This is better achieved when you take short breaks during your workouts. Instead of taking a 2-minute break between sets, reduce this time to 30 to 45 seconds. This helps in burning more calories.
3. Focus on the larger muscle groups. The bigger the muscle, the more calories needed to work and sustain it. For an effective cutting diet and workout, focus on exercising the muscles in legs, abdominals, back, and chest.
4. Sleep more. Lack of enough sleep leads to increased levels of cortisol in your body. This hormone makes it harder for you to lose weight and fat. Try getting 7 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
5. Avoid overtraining. You still need your rest days even while cutting as they avoid overtraining. You should rest for one or two days every week.
Who should eat a 2100 calorie meal plan?
This diet is best for male bodybuilders or fitness enthusiasts who are on a cutting phase of their fitness journey. This diet is best consumed for 8 to 12 weeks depending on how lean you are and how much fat you want to lose (6).
For women, the 2100 calorie meal plan could be a bit high for them. However, moderately active women aged 19 to 30 years old can safely consume this diet. It can also be consumed by a few women participating in bodybuilding competitions (5).
The Bottom Line
A 2100 calorie meal plan could be perfect for one who is considering going on a cutting diet. This eating plan provides you with a caloric deficit that results in fat loss and a leaner physique when combined with strength training.
It should be noted that this meal plan is intended for highly active people who often eat more than 2100 calories a day. However, if you are overweight or obese and consume more than 2600 calories a day, then the 2100 calorie meal plan could offer some weight loss benefits. Please note that you must consult a doctor and dietitian before trying this diet.